What is Gua Sha?
Gua Sha is a healing technique involving palpation and cutaneous stimulation where the skin is pressured in strokes by a round-edged instrument or scraper. This results in the appearance of small red elevated patches called 'sha'. Sha is the term used to describe blood in the subcutaneous tissue before and after it is raised as a small red bump. This will fade within a few days.
If it takes longer to fade, it could indicate poor blood circulation and the practitioner must determine whether there is a deficiency of blood, Qi, Yang or a deeper organ deficiency at the root of the problem.
How does it work?
Raising Sha removes blood stagnation which are considered pathogenic, promoting normal circulation and metabolic processes.
The patient experiences immediate relief from pain, stiffness, fever, chill, cough, nausea, and so on.
What does Gua Sha feel like?
During treatment, a particular oil is applied on a particular area of the skin where our practitioner will scrape the area with a gua sha scraper.
On the places where disorders are hidden, red spots appear in the skin (not on the skin) comparable to something like a hemorrhage.
Because the scraping is on the oily skin you will hardly feel pain - neither during nor after the treatment. The skin will not be damaged, and the red spots will fully disappear within 3 to 7 days.
How many treatments will I need?
Treatment plans are based on each patient's individual needs, depth and duration of disease. Our experienced practitioners will give you a prognosis and treatment plan at your first visit. Our goal is to help you feel better as soon as possible.
What are the common conditions Gua Sha is used for?
Gua Sha is valuable in the prevention and treatment of acute infectious illness, upper respiratory and digestive problems, and many other acute or chronic disorders.
Gua Sha therapy is regularly used to:
- Treat fatigue due to heat exposure (especially heat-stroke) or cold
- Cough and dyspnea: bronchitis, asthma, emphysema
- Muscle and tendon injuries
- Reduce fever
- Push sluggish circulation, fibromyalgia
- Stiffness, pain, immobility
- Digestive disorders
- Urinary, gynecological disorders
- Assists with reactions to food poisoning
What are the benefits to Gua Sha?
Gua Sha is particularly effective in pain relief.
It has effects on pain from head, neck, shoulder, joint and back pain to RSI, fibromyalgy, sciatica and other nerve pain, migraine, PMS, osteoporosis, rheumatism. It is also effective on various diseases caused by the disharmony of the internal organs.
Through treatments,Gua Sha helps:
- Stimulates the immune system
- Detoxifies and de-acidifies
- Promotes the circulation
- Regulates functions and organs
- Removes blockades and pain
- Revitalizes and regenerates ("life-extension")
- Diminishes stress, fatigue and burn-out
- Improves and cures (indirectly) countless (chronic) disorders and complaints
- Rebalances emotions, relaxes and promotes clarity of mind
To find out more about this treatment at Dr Li's TCM Clinic, contact us NOW
Dr. Li's TCM Clinic - Lane Cove, Rhodes, Macquarie Centre, North Ryde & Chatswood